Frequently Asked Questions

About Code Complaint

FAQs About Filing a Code Complaint

To determine if construction is being done with the required permits, you may lookup permits online, find the property's APN, or email Planning.BuildingInfo@santacruzcountyca.gov

All complaints must be submitted in writing. You can file an Online Code Complaint or download the Code Complaint Form PDF and submit by mail or in person at the Planning Department at 701 Ocean Street, 4th floor. 

The name of the complainant is kept confidential. If litigation ensued, the name of the complainant could be made known to the judge who may or may not decide to make such information public.

Your complaint is processed, property research is conducted, a service request number is assigned, a first contact letter is mailed to the owner, and an investigation file is prepared.

Once your complaint has been received you may call the assigned Code Compliance Investigator or the Planning Department  at (831) 454-2580 to inquire about the status.

Once the complaint has been processed, a first contact letter is sent to the property owner and an acknowledgement letter is sent to the complainant. At this point in time, your complaint cannot be withdrawn.

County Animal Control. They can be reached at 831-454-7303 or by Contacting the Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter

FAQs About Resolving a Code Complaint

Contact the Code Compliance Investigator that issued the notice (their name and telephone number are on the notice) or respond by e-mail  code.compliance@santacruzcountyca.gov.

The County Code is available online and you may view and/or print the code section listed on the Notice of Violation.

If you do not resolve the violation within 90 days, enforcement sanctions may be initiated. These sanctions may include referral to an Administrative Hearing for the imposition of civil penalties or referral to Superior Court.

  • The Notice of Violation is recorded on the title of the property to inform any prospective purchaser or anyone who may assume financial interest in the property that a violation exists.

Make an appointment to meet with the appropriate planning counter staff to discuss options and submittal requirements.

Contact the Code Compliance Investigator who issued the notice of violation or call (831) 454-2580.

Request an expungement from the assigned Code Compliance Investigator. Payment of all Code Compliance enforcement costs as well as an expungement fee is required before the expungement will be recorded.

County of Santa Cruz Chapter 1.12.010 states "It shall be a separate offense for each and every day during any portion of which any violation of, or failure to comply with, any provision of this code is committed, continued or permitted." Therefore, there is no statute of limitations on land use violations.